Facts and figures (2015)
Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
The Osrednjeslovenska Region occupies the central part of Slovenia with the capital city Ljubljana lying at the intersection of two Pan-European Transport Corridors No. 5 and 10. There is a motorway linking the city to Ljubljana Airport some 20 km away.
It is the most developed region and the largest Slovenian region in terms of the number of inhabitants and the most densely populated.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Osrednjeslovenska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia and has total population of nearly 290,000. It is also the cradle of the country's largest university – the University of Ljubljana with some 43,000 students. The University is composed of 23 faculties and 3 art academies that provide a wide range of courses in engineering, computers science, chemistry, pharmacy and biotechnology, medicine, business, and languages.
It is economically the most developed region of Slovenia. In 2014 it created more than a third (37.2%) of the national GDP; three quarters from service activities. The share of manufacturing is below the Slovenian average with the following important industries:
- pulp and paper
- food & beverages
Industry is export-oriented and accounts for more than 30% of the region's exports, while employing 20% of labour force.
A breakdown of the service sector shows that the following branches are the most successful:
- business services
- transport & logistics
The region is also important in the field of research and development (R&D) both with the highest gross domestic expenditure (46.3%) and the highest number of R&D personnel (60.3%).
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- AquafilSLO (synthetic carpets and nylon textile)
- BTC (business, shopping, recreational and entertainment centre)
- Danfoss Trata (components for district heating and cooling)
- Droga Kolinska (food processing)
- Elektro Ljubljana (distribution of electricity)
- Helios (coatings, decorative paints and adhesives)
- Hella Saturnus Slovenija (manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment for motor vehicles)
- HSE (power generation, trader and transmission of electricity)
- Iskra (industrial solutions and electrotechnical products for variety of business sectors)
- Količevo karton (recycled and virgin fibre-based cartonboard grades)
- Lek (generics and pharmaceuticals)
- Mercator (retail sale in non-specialized stores with predominating food & beverages)
- NLB (banking services)
- Petrol (supplier of oil and other energy products)
- Sava turizem (hotels and resorts)
- Si.mobil (mobile operator)
- Slovenske železnice (passenger and freight rail transport)
- Telekom Slovenije (wired, wireless and mobile telecommunication services)
- Zavarovalnica Triglav (insurance)
The Regional Development Agency of the Ljubljana Urban Region
Tehnološki park 19, SI-1000 Ljubljana
Phone: +386 1 306 19 02