Facts and figures (2015)
Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
The Pomurska Region at the north-east of Slovenia stretches from the Mura River to the state borders with Austria, Croatia and Hungary. It is a flat country interrupted by rolling hills covering 6.6% of Slovenian teritory.
The prospects for an economic upswing across the board are much more tangible since the blueprint for the modernisation of infrastructure (road network in particular) has been made.
The region is multicultural and the Hungarian minority has a strong presence. There is a part of the region that has been traditionally oriented towards Austria.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Pomurska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
The regional centre is Murska Sobota (19,000 inhabitants). Most students study at the University of Ljubljana or the University of Maribor.
The region has preserved unpolluted and untouched environment with vast fertile plains. At present sustained agriculture employs 8% of the working population. Among the most prosperous industries there are:
The sunset of labour-intense industries with large enterprises accounts for around 9,000 registered job seekers. Thanks to skilled workers and talented fashion designers there are foreign investors who recognise value-for-money they get in the Pomurska Region, the textile industry still employs about one quarter of the region’s workforce. Other important sectors include service industries and building & construction employ 54.5% and 8.3% respectively.
Appraisals of the region’s development potential reveal that Pomurska is not burdened by an outdated industrial structure. Existing enterprises and new investors can build their success on the highly educated workforce, as the number of students and other highly qualified people continues to rise.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Arcont (manufacture of metal structures and parts of structures)
- Carthago (motor homes)
- Daihen Varstroj (manufacture of metal forming machinery)
- Elrad International (manufacture of consumer electronics)
- Farmtech (agricultural machinery)
- GMT (trade of spare parts for motor vehicles)
- MOL Slovenija (oil and gas company)
- Panvita group (production and preserving of meat)
- Planika Turnišče (manufacture of footwear)
- Radenska (production of soft drinks & mineral waters and other bottled waters)
- Radgonske gorice (sparkling and superior wine)
- Reflex Gornja Radgona (building completion and finishing)
- Saubermacher Slovenija (waste disposal and recycling)
- SGP Pomgrad (construction of residential and non-residential buildings)
- TKO (manufacture of special-purpose machinery)
- Varis Lendava (manufacture of concrete products for construction purposes)
For further information on investment opportunities, the business environment and incentives please turn to the contact point:
Development center Murska Sobota
Kardoševa ulica 2, SI-9000 Murska Sobota
Tel: +386 59 08 11 45